Faculty, students participate in bloodletting

By: Steffany Rufino

Blood is collected from the donors.

A total of 52 blood donors took part during the bloodletting activity conducted in the campus, Feb. 10. The activity was called Ilos Dugo, named after the inilusan tradition of the municipality of Mambusao.
The Office of the Student Affairs (OSA); Medical, Dental and Disability Office; Supreme Student Council (SSC); Future Leaders of the Philippines (FLP); and National Service Training Program (NSTP) facilitated the conduct of the activity with the assistance of the personnel from the Philippine Red Cross-Capiz Chapter and Rural Health Unit of Mambusao.
According to Mr. Francis Carl A. Figarola, medical, dental and disability services chair, this activity promotes awareness on the importance of blood and how blood donation can save lives.
Two faculty members, 48 students and two non-CapSUnians voluntarily donated blood.
Before withdrawal of blood, donors were checked if they met the basic requirements like body weight and blood pressure. They were instructed to fill up donor’s form at the blood collection site and asked about their health history.
Blood donors who were qualified were asked to lie down on the couch for blood collection. The amount of blood which were taken were determined after 10 to 15 minutes. After the successful collection of blood, the donors were given snacks and instructions by the medical personnel.
Among the blood donors was Prof. Olga L. Llanera, SSC adviser. Llanera shared the reasons why she volunteered to donate blood.
“I decided to donate blood because of its good effects to our health, which is it renews blood cells. It also gives me satisfaction and it feels good that I can help others who are in need of blood and patients with medical condition. At first, it was painful because of the needle pierced through but along the process I realized that it was a good experience. Indeed, it was a simple act but it could make a difference. It’s a great feeling to save one’s life,” the SSC adviser stated.
Clifford Sunio, SSC president also expressed his delight as a blood donor for two consecutive years.
“Donating blood has made me overcome my fear of blood. The first time I did this I was very afraid. The thought of having needles pierced through my body made me feel nervous. But after the first time I donated blood in August 2019, I became braver and very much willing to do it again. How fulfilling it is that I am able to help someone needing my blood,” Sunio related.
FLP Subchapter 1 president Elcha Mae Villacapa said that she cares about the young generation and she expressed her concern by donating blood.
“As a student leader, I want to show how I care about this generation. Red Cross needs cooperation and support not just from ordinary people but also from institutions like our University where students could be blood donors. I hope I can also encourage my fellow students to do the same thing,” Villacapa said.
Most of the blood donors were first timers but not satellite college director Dr. Adelfo Z. Virtudazo. For many years now, Virtudazo has joined in various bloodletting activities organized by different organizations. According to him, he feels good every time he donates blood.
Figarola, who was at the frontline of this activity, extended his gratitude to those who volunteered as blood donors. They have contributed much to the success of the activity. He looks forward to a bigger number of blood donors in the next bloodletting activity.