FEATURE: From Rice Field to Stage

By: Joice M. Florentino

FELASOL

Every graduate has a story of struggles. The smile that his or her classmates, friends, and instructors see in him or her could just be a mask that hides pains and misery. Unless he or she reveals what is hidden, we would never know the story of his or her life.
Luckily, Rj Lou Gregorio Felasol generously shares his own story of life's struggles and difficulties. He shares his story to inspire young people like him especially those who are going through hardship, but have determination to reach their dreams.
When he was a kid, he dreamed to graduate in college but he did not believe at first that it could turn into a reality because of financial problems. In short, he was a dreamer but had no faith that he could realize his dreams.
He was known to be “but-anan” because during his primary school (from Nursery to Grade 3) he managed to go to school alone despite the distance of their house. He was First Honors from Grades One to Three but when he transferred to the central school to continue his elementary, he failed to make it in the honors list.
“I was a free boy back then. I was raised by my grandmother. Mama worked as a housemaid and Lola was the one who took care of me. We are three siblings but we grew up separately. I, the youngest, was the one left in our house.
“I have no father. My mother used to have a husband but their marriage did not last. He met my father but when he learned that she was pregnant of me, he left. I know who my father is and I don’t deny the fact that he is my father and I am his son,” he revealed.
In 2013 during the aftermath of Typhoon Yolanda, another misfortune occurred in the family. His older sister got pregnant after graduating from college. Her boyfriend left her.
“Maybe, it is a curse on our family - to be left by the person who is supposed to support us in the very first place,” Rj Lou said. One month after his sister gave birth, she went to Manila to look for a job. Rj Lou and his mother took care of his nephew. At first, she sent money for her child but suddenly, they lost communication with her. They had no choice but to take the responsibility of supporting the child.
At the age of 13, Rj Lou learned how to toil in the rice field. There were instances he had to miss classes. Sometimes, he was ashamed to enter the school because he was absent for several days.
The life of a laborer in the rice field is very hard. He could feel his back aching and his body sweating. At night after a day’s labor, he could feel the fatigue. How he wished not to wake up the next morning so as to avoid working in the rice field but it was his routine. It was the only way he knew in order to survive.
“Sometimes, my classmates and friends would pass by. What I do is cover my face for them not to recognize me. I was ashamed. My face was very dark,” he quipped.
Finishing college seemed impossible for Rj Lou but he knew that with God, everything is possible.
“I never believed I could make it in college, but I do believe God has a plan for me,” he went on.
At a very young age, Rj Lou also experienced how it was being a father.
“I was also responsible for taking care of my nephew. I who have no father became a father to him. It might be a blessing or something God wanted me to learn from,” he added.
In his Senior High School, Rj Lou took HUMSS strand, and it so happened that his adviser during his Grade 12 was also his adviser way back in Grade Seven. He remembered how his teacher was concerned of him and would ask him why he was always absent.
One morning, his adviser asked the class who wanted to be a school boy of her grandparents in Mambusao. Without hesitation, Rj Lou instantly raised his hands. Maybe, it was God who lifted his hand to direct him to where he should be. It was a decision that would turn Rj Lou’s fate 380 degrees. He became a working student from Grade 12 to college.
By God's grace, Rj Lou was able to find a second family. God sent him to people who would be instruments for him to realize his dreams. He has no father, but found a father in the person of Tatay Meyong.
“God sends us to strange places for us to find the missing pieces in our lives. God, indeed, is the God of best surprises. My life used to be a puzzle but when I found the people who helped me, I was able to find the solution,” he tearfully shared.
Rj Lou took up Bachelor of Arts in English Language. He was barely a year in college when the pandemic came. The learning modalities have shifted from in-person instruction to distance learning. This however did not cause him trouble as he was used to staying at home after school.
“The pandemic was like a blessing in disguise. I had peace inside our house. During face-to-face classes, I used to get jealous of my friends who could go anywhere they wanted to. But during the pandemic, everyone was at home,” he jested.
Time flies so fast. It was like he went to sleep and when he woke up, he was already on his final year in college. As he was getting closer to his graduation, he tried to look back and remember the people he walked with and helped him fulfill his dreams. God blessed him with people who were his great aides in college. His instructors, classmates, and friends were like a family to him.
“God attracts people towards me not just to be with me but to be part of my life. I am just lucky to be surrounded with people who treat me as a family,” Rj Lou said.
Finally, Rj Lou graduated in college. He was a working student who has no father and hasn’t experienced to live with a complete family. There could be lots of missing pieces in his life but little by little he is finding them, and graduating from college cum laude is a big piece that can fill the void in his life.
Life might be so unpredictable but one thing is certain - God never abandons and will never forsake those who believe in Him even in the darkest times.