By Rigel Kent D. Delfin
| SABALA
|
Former editor-in-chief of The Courier Kin F. Sabala shared his experiences as a SEA-Teacher Student Exchange Program participant during the ASEAN+3 Language and Culture Program hosted by Iloilo Science and Technology University (ISAT-U) on August 6, 2026, highlighting the value of cultural immersion, global learning, and cross-cultural experiences in shaping future educators.
Sabala shared his experience as a participant in the SEA-Teacher Student Exchange Project, where he had the opportunity to study at Udon Thani Rajabhat University in Thailand and experience teaching and cultural immersion in the country.
He was invited to speak about his experiences after being recommended by CAPSU Vice President for External Affairs and Linkages Dr. Salvacion J. Legaspi.
“I was recommended by Vice President for External Affairs and Linkages Dr. Salvacion J. Legaspi. I was invited based on my experience as a SEA-Teacher Exchange Student Program participant, particularly my teaching and cultural immersion experience in Thailand,” Sabala said.
Upon receiving the invitation, Sabala said he was both surprised and grateful for the opportunity to share his experiences with fellow students.
“I was honestly surprised and grateful. I felt honored that they trusted me to share my experience with other students, especially because the program had a meaningful impact on my own journey,” he shared.
During his presentation, Sabala highlighted the importance of cultural immersion and introduced basic Thai language expressions to the participants. He also discussed his experiences navigating classroom dynamics in Thailand while embracing the country’s culture and language.
To prepare for the presentation, Sabala revisited his experiences and organized the lessons and stories he wanted to share with the audience.
“I revisited my experiences in Thailand, organized the lessons and stories I wanted to share, and designed the presentation to make it personal and relatable. I wanted the audience to see not just what the program was, but what it can teach you beyond the classroom,” he explained.
For Sabala, the opportunity to become a resource speaker was more than simply sharing his experience. He viewed it as an opportunity to inspire others and give back by passing on the lessons he gained from his international exchange experience.
“For me, it is a reminder that an experience becomes even more meaningful when you can use it to inspire others. From being a participant to becoming a resource speaker, it feels like a full-circle moment, and I’m grateful to have the opportunity to give back by sharing what I learned,” Sabala said.
Through his presentation, Sabala emphasized how cross-cultural experiences can help shape future educators by developing their adaptability, cultural awareness, and appreciation for diversity.
He likewise encouraged his fellow CAPSUnians to step beyond their comfort zones and seize opportunities to participate in international exchange programs, which can contribute to their growth as educators and global learners.
The ASEAN+3 Language and Culture Program was conducted online via Zoom and was also live-streamed on the official ISAT-U Facebook page.
Sabala just graduated in June 2026 at the top of his batch as class valedictorian, earning Magna Cum Laude honors.
